Friday, February 23, 2007

New Yarn!!

Well my Birthday is almost over! With all these parcels I've been getting my Birthday has lasted for ages now and what a lot of things I have to share with you today. First of all is some yummy 100% wool worsted weight Noro-esque yarn. This is about the closest my budget will let me get to Noro and it is really nice. The colours are deeper in real life and what looks like lilac here is actually more of a slate blue/mauve colour.


It sort of reminds me of sunset colours such as in this photo of a sunset taken from our front doorstep at some point.

Either way they're really rich warm colours
which are destined to become something from one of the dozens of Noro patterns Mum has. These two are strong contenders - I'm not sure if I want a jumper or a cardi yet. The jumper is from Cornelia Tuttle Hamiltons 2nd book and the cardi is called Butterfly and I can't remember which book it's from (some combination of 'Noro' and 'Nature' - not sure which one!) but this would have to be shorted than stated as I only have 500g not 550g as the pattern needs.



Also in the same parcel is some 'cashmere feel' lace weight yarn which is really lovely and soft. Now I know grey is a bit boring but it will go with all sorts and be timeless (or so I hope!) and should look nice in the pattern, Maldhi's Shawl from an old Interweave Knits magazine. Hopefully it won't be too taxing and looks a fairly straightforward pattern.

Next through the door was some sock yarn (HotSocks yarn) in a lovely vibrant colourway. Having just finished the other pair of socks (which I love even if I knitted the rib too loosely - no photo as they're not dry yet!) I decided I should cast on for a new pair. These are going to be Jaywalkers! from Grumperina and I'm loving the way the zig-zags are forming and so far it's a simple alternative to plain stocking (!!) stitch socks.


And in case you wanted more sock stuff here you go: some Blue Face Leicester Natural Dye Studio sock yarn. The colours are so much more vibrant in the flesh, much more lemon and lime and will be quite funky socks! But it is oh, so soft and squishy, so lovely!

Remember my Sea Spray hand spun yarn? It did get knitted up into a moebius which I forgot to show you back in January. It only stayed as a moebius for a few hours as I'd made it too big and need to redo it but I thought you may like to see it in it's short-lived beauty.




And taking of beautiful things here are a couple of pretty scenic shots from early February when we went to Portmeirion for a visit. The sunset shot was actually taken on the way to Mum's as we were driving (well I was a passenger) but it's not bad considering we were mobile.

This shot is just so sunny and peaceful that I just love it. Portmeirion has so many lovely parts that I could show you dozens of photos but I will leave it at this but it is well worth a visit if you are ever up in North Wales! And if you're struggling to think what and where Portmeirion is think of the series 'The Prisoner' which was filmed here and take a look here for a better look!

Anyway I think I've taken enough of your time today so I shall leave you with that and hopefully return shortly with some FO's. I should point out that all this new yarn was bought before the 'No yarn till WoolFest' pledge in case you think I've caved in already!

12 comments:

Joanna said...

So what is that Noro esque yarn called please Kath? Is it freedom spirit? I really like that sweater pattern, I don't think noro is worth the money, there's so many bits in it you might aswell spin your own!

Chris said...

Don't forget if you overdye grey yarn you can get some really intense colours, I do LOVE that shawl pattern (as if I haven't got enough to be getting on with!)
Portmeirion is one of my most favourite places, but it shares space with Whitby and Malvern now.

artyfartykat said...

Its lovely when birthdays are 'extended'!! You've some gorgeous purchases there and I love your photos, especially the sunset. Its a long time since we've been to North Wales, but I love the place. Portmeirion is unique and beautiful. OOhhh, I want to go now!!

Artis-Anne said...

Lots of yummys here Kath; the sock yarn is showing well in that patterns and your Noro-esque is gorgoeus and I bet it will be softer than the Kureyon I am going to use from my stash .
I LIKE that shawl pattern, might change my mind and do that instead of the VLT one

Mary-Lou said...

what is the noro-esque yarn? (purely in the interests of research ...!)

Kath said...

The Noro-esque is called Rhythm, I don't think it's a big brand, just something I found on ebay from Yarn Treehouse in America.

yarnivorous said...

Lots of woolly goodness you have there! Portmerion is a very nice David Austin rose. Looks like an interesting place to visit too.

Sarah said...

Ooh what a haul, should keep you going! Some real beauties there. The Jaywalkers look great, such a fab pattern.

HPNY KNITS said...

what a wonderful line-up! yum.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I *adore* your photos - all of them! You're a real artist with the camera, I'm really impressed!
Now, that Noro-like yarn is absolutely gorgeous - I can't help thinking that I'd like this one much better than the actual Noro, it looks much softer and the colours seem prettier! It'd look so amazing with that Noro-cardi that you showed - or any other pattern that you decide for!
Portmeirion is so beautiful! I looked it up in the Internet and really, really loved what I saw! This is definitely a place I'd so love to see one day!
And now, most of all: A very happy belated birthday to you - all the very best!

acrylik said...

Oooh, your new yarn is gorgeous, especially the Noro-esque one. I love the way your Jaywalkers are turning out, and the sock yarn you have bought is gorgeous.
I love Portmeirion, we really enjoyed our trip there.

belaybunny said...

I too love the noro-sub yarn you've got. I go to portmeirion at least once a year, am hoping to go there before easter in fact!! The moebious looks wonderful and I love your jaywalkers.