Sunday, March 25, 2007

Projects and Photos.

Rummaging in the stash mountain I came across this combination and have been trying ever since to decide if these two yarns go together or not. I've even knitted up some small swatches to see how they look knitted up. So the question is - do they 'go'? At times I say 'yes', then change my mind and think 'no' the green needs a quick bath in some blue dye to take the edge off it a little....
I may make my mind up at some point. And what is this all for? This is Poppy. The pattern was in one of the UK Knitting mags (Knitting - if I remember correctly!) and the original was done in Noro Silk Garden and Cash Iroha (spellcheck says this should be IRA!! LOL)- well I've no such luck to have a stash of Noro to use. (I do have a ball each of Silk Garden and Kureyon but then I want a jumper for me not one of Emily's dollies!) I have enough of the green to do the sleeves of Poppy with the body being variegated and am not sure if this would work or not - can you tell I'm desperately trying to get my stash yarns to play nicely with each other and give me something wearable?



FO-wise I've one sleeve to go so not too far off now! I will get cracking tonight!

Anyway - as we've had some beautiful spring days lately I suppose I should change the subject and let a little light in.


These following photos were all taken not too far from where I am in a place called Eastham Woods. There's a lovely coastal path that follows the banks of the River Mersey to the woods which were formerly a Victorian Pleasure Garden complete with Bear pit and Water Splash (an early roller coaster) which nature has now reclaimed but remnants are still to be found like fountains and rhododendrons in amongst the trees. It's a bit like finding the lamp-post in the woods of Narnia but not quite as magical as you're under the flightpath for Liverpool Airport so you get loads of planes taking off and landing not so far above you. Anyway I didn't get as far as the fountains etc but enjoyed natures display of blossom, catkins and fresh green leaves so thought I'd share these with you. Doesn't Spring just lift your heart? It always does for me!

11 comments:

RoxyK said...

Lovely spring pics! Days like that just make you feel good ;)

Funny how stash yarns never quite play nicely together! Almost as if they're planning against us to force us to buy yet more yarn.....

artyfartykat said...

Mmm, I'm not sure about the yarns, I think I'm fence sitting on that one!!
The pics of Spring look beautiful. It feels like everything is waking up after a long sleep and makes me want to get going too!!

Artis-Anne said...

Think I would try and dye the green to tone it down ; then again that might still not work !! Shame you don't have more of the vaiegated one, did you say its not available now ? If it is go & get it and I'll pay for it as I think
that would work better
Love the Spring shots :)

Seahorse said...

Lovely pics! Eastham Woods sound fascinating - just the sort of place I'd love to explore.

I'm not great at colours, so I won't attempt a yay or nay on whether those two go togetehr!

Joanna said...

Ahhh, look at your mum...offering to buy you more yarn, that's not cheating, I think she's right about the green, maybe a little bit strong...but thats just on my monitor settings!!

Sarah said...

I love the Spring pictures.

Poppy looks like a great pattern. I think that you shoud be 100% happy about the yarn before you knit it, otherwise you'll end up with a jumper you'll never wear.

Ang said...

I agree with Kendra, and would go with your mum's lovely idea. Whenever I'm not sure about yarns going together I draw a picture of the item to be knitted and colour it in to get a rough idea.

Love those spring pictures, it does lift my heart!

Anonymous said...

sorry to leave a comment but I couldn't seen an email address for you, can you drop me an email to kerrie@magknits.com please? thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love the green, and unless my monitor is not portraying the colours accurately I enjoy the contrasting colours you have put it with.
But I do recognise that Yes! nooooo! Yes! Nooo! feeling!!

acrylik said...

Normally I would say yes to such contrasting swatches, but on my monitor I don't think they go too well together. Shame, because in themselves they are gorgeous yarns.

Ang said...

I'm doing this now Kath as it turns out I'm going to be away on the 31st, You are the winner of my little competition, so if you could e mail me with your address and choice of sweet/savoury.
Well done!